To be young and in love with hip hop. That describes myself and my comrades Blackspot, Datwon Thomas and DJ Freedom Child during our time on 105.9 FM. Back then if you wanted a slot on WNWK’s station, you had to come out of your own pockets to the tune of 300 dollars per show, so me and the fellas scraped the change up and started our Nocturnal Transmissions show from 3am-4am in the morning. Didn’t matter that we were broke, and tired due to the late time slot, the determination and love drove us to pay to play. The ill thing is our show followed DJ Evil Dee’s show and we used to exchange daps as he was exiting the building. I think I can speak for everyone when I say this was a priceless era in our rap lives.
Check out one of our shows from November 25, 1997 and thanks to @TheBlackspot for unearthing this gem.
NOCTURNAL TRANSMISSIONS: 11-25-1997 3AM – 4AM
DJ Freedom Child, DJ Rhude, Hosts The Blackspot & Datwon Thomas LINK
DJ Freedom Child Side
01. Mos Def ft Mike Zoot – High Drama (prod by DJ Hi-Tek)
02. Organized Confusion – Questions
03. Mos Def & Mike Zoot – What If
04. Tony Bones & Mr. Live – Placebo
05. O.C. Your Life
06. Craig G – Dropping Science
07. Pete Rock & CL Smooth – Mecca In The Soul Brother
08. Tribe Called Quest – Mr. Incognito
09. M.O.P. – How About Some Hardcore
DJ Rhude Side
01. Xperado – Paradox
02. Killah Priest ft Inspectah Deck & GZA – Cross My Heart
03. B.N.N. – M.O.P.
04. All City – The Actual (Coming Thru) (prod by DJ Premier)
05. Canibus ft Wyclef & Manhunt – No Airplay
06. Nas – Life Is Like A Dice Game
07. Cypress Hill – Stoned Garden (Pete Rock remix)